Wednesday 16 March 2011

It all started a few weeks ago. My husband Kevin started complaining about sore ribs. He thought he had fractured one at some point playing with our three year old and our six year old boys. It was the middle of the night on a sunday when I made the call to my brother asking him to accompany Kevin to the emergency department to have it looked at...the kids were sound asleep and I, being four and a half months pregnant with our third child, was too tired to go with him.

When I woke at seven a.m. the next morning, they were still at the hospital. They wanted Kev to have an abdominal ultrasound. I called my mom to be there for the kids and got myself to the hospital. Finally by ten a.m. he had the test done. It showed dark spots on his liver. That meant more tests..a CT scan to see what was going on more clearly. We were both exhausted but at this point still thinking it had something to do with the wheat and gluten allergy he had been suffering with or the bouts of IBS he had had sporadically over the last fifteen years.

We were still making jokes about the movie Naked Gun and organ donor cards.

The CT scan results were given to us separate from the waiting chairs we had spent most of the day in, separate from the people we had been talking to to pass the time. We were taken to a private area. I remember hearing the words cancer, colon, liver mets and biopsy but my head was spinning and my world was crashing down on me so loudly that I couldn't quite make out the other words being said.

By the time the dust cleared, Kev had been admitted to the hospital for a colonoscopy and biopsy and I was sent home to gather his things......

No comments:

Post a Comment